be bold be brave be red stop the violence
We are asking organizations and individuals to host rallies and speak outs at various monumental sites (i.e. The Lincoln Memorial, Seattle’s Arch, Chicago’s Bean, MLK Memorial, etc.) located in their cities or to host rallies and speak outs at locations that represent the political, economic, and/or social power of their cities such as the local courthouse, the local chamber of commerce, the local police department, and the local city council. Groups can also consider rallying in sites where specific violence against women of color occurred. Hosting a rally dedicated to eradicating violence against women of color at the locations where business is conducted, where laws are made, and where justice is rendered is revolutionary. It demands that laws be written specifically to protect women of color from violence. It demands funding to be made available to women of color organizations who work to end violence against women of color. It demands that justice be served by compelling city leaders to create spaces in the city where women of color are safe.
Use the below agenda for your gathering:
- Host of gathering should welcome participants.
- Participants should decorate the location or rally with red. Participants should where red. Note: please try to use environmentally friendly materials!
- Light a candle. If you’d like you can ask all participants to come with a candle.
- Read Out of Silence, We Come litany at 8 p.m. CST. You can have one person serve as the reader, or, ask the group to read the litany together. Across the country, women will be reading with you. We will not be silent!
- Ask participants to begin to share their stories. Allow at least 30 minutes for participants to share their stories.
- Celebrate this moment of community! Take a picture or video clip and send it to email@example.com so that we can document the silence together.
- Documents prepared for Christian Faith Communities can be accessed here, click here christian-women-take-action.doc
If it is DIFFICULT TO HOST A Red RALLY/GATHERING, PLEASE WEAR RED, GET WITH YOUR FRIENDS and at 8:00 pm CENTRAL READ in Unison the “OUT OF SILENCE LITANY” BECAUSE PEOPLE FROM ACROSS THE NATION WILL BE DOING THE same thing. Please take Pictures and/or Video and EMAIL us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we can upload them on the website. After October 31, 2007, we want to flood the web with pictures and video of Red!!!
Download the litany here, out-of-the-silence-litany.doc
Individuals, organizations, and communities that are committed to acknowledging and resisting the violence visited on women of color every day are encouraged to read this statement aloud on Wednesday October 31, 2007 at 8:00 p.m./Central time. Across the nation, women of color and allies will be reciting the litany at the same time creating one loud voice breaking the silence.
Out of the Silence, We Come: A Litany
Out of the Silence, We Come: A Litany
Out of the silence, we come
In the name of nuestras abuelas,
In honor of our mamas
In the spirit of our petit fils,
In tribute to ourselves
We come crying out
Documenting the torture
We come wailing
Reporting the rape
We come singing
Testifying to the abuse
We come knowing
Knowing that the silence has not protected us from
the physical pain
the emotional shame
the auction block
Once immobilized by silence
We come now, mobilized by collective voice
Dancing in harmonious move-ment to the thick drumbeat of la lucha, the struggle
We come indicting those who claim to love us, but violate us
We come prosecuting those who are paid to protect us, but harass us
We come sentencing those who say they represent us, but render
Out of the Silence, we come
Telling our stories
Fighting for our lives
Refusing to accept that we were never meant to survive